AMI - Advanced Metering Infrastructure
Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) provides our residents with improved meter reading and billing accuracy. This state-of-the-art technology will provide water usage data in real-time and detect leaks or issues immediately, leading to a faster response time and increased customer satisfaction.
Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) benefits
- Real time reporting of water usage
- Quickly identify excessive water use
- Quick detection of water leaks
Installation of New Meters
The installation of the new meters will being October 2023 and should be completed in less than 12 months. The new meters will be installed neighborhood by neighborhood, beginning with the oldest/least accurate meters and continuing based on a combination of age/accuracy and what part of the month you receive your bill.
- Is this system more accurate than the one we have now?
It much more accurate. The new system can detect usage as low as .01 gallons and will be 98% accurate or better. Some of the meters are past their usable life and as much as 25% (or more) of the water passing through the meter goes undetected.
- How often will meters be read?
The AMI system will transmit usage data every 8 hours.
- When will the new meters be installed?
The installation of the new meters will begin October 2023 and should be completed in less than 12 months.
- Is the transmission of the data secure?
Yes. Additionally, no personal or even location data will be transmitted. Only the amount of water that goes through the meter and the time of day the usage will be collected and transmitted.
- Since these meters are automated, will Customer Service still be available?
We are not making any changes to Customer Service as part of the AMI project. All of the Customer Service Representatives available before the AMI project will continue to be available to respond to your calls and emails.
- Will you still be able to determine if there is a leak at the meter?
Our ability to determine leaks on the city side of the meter will remain unchanged, but our ability to detect leaks on the customer side of the meter will be greatly improved. In fact, you will gain the ability to set your own threshold for leak detection and get alerts sent directly to you letting you know about the issue.
- Will the meter be in the same location as my current meter?
Yes. The new meter will be replacing your existing meter. It is not being moved.
- Does this mean our water service is being outsourced?
No. The City of Deerfield Beach will continue to produce and distribute your drinking water and your calls and emails will be answered by our Customer Service section.
- How will it be detected if my meter isn't working?
The AMI system can detect unusual water usage patterns, including more or less water usage than normal. Alerts can be set up to let you know when those conditions are met.